Instead of doing monthly favorites, I’ve been saving them up to do my summer favorites for both skincare and makeup! Today we are going to look at the skincare routine I’ve been using all summer. Don’t worry, makeup favorites will be up next week!
While I dabble and experiment in makeup (Summer Favorites are going to be hard to narrow down), I don’t do that with my skin care. If something is working with my skin care- I don’t change it. My skin is sensitive, rash prone, breakout/texture prone, as well redness prone. I have dry cheeks and a semi-oily t-zone in the summer. I find that if my skincare is on point, I can experiment with different makeup without a lot of adverse effects and it took me a long time to figure this out. Because I’m 35 now, I’m incorporating serums and of course sunscreen into my routine to prevent sun spots/hyperpigmentation and wrinkles. I like skincare that is fragrance free because fragrance can be the biggest culprit of allergic reactions and a lot of times unnecessary. Most of these items featured are cruelty free except for the Cerave & Neutrogena brands. So let’s take a look at my AM and PM routine that I have been using over the summer and will continue to use until it gets cool and my skin gets drier.
AM Skincare Routine:
- Wash– with my First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser.
- Tone– with my Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
- Serums– I use my Timeless 20% Vitamin C+E+Ferulic Acid Serum (put several drops in my hand, rub hands together and put on my face- I also take what’s left on my hands and bring it down to my neck and decollete). I used to use the Paula’s Choise Resist C serum but it oxidized so fast and is twice the price of the Timeless as well as smaller in size. This step makes my skin glow and prevents it from looking dull. Then I put a pea size amount of the Paula’s Choice RESIST Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum on my finger, rub fingers together and spread onto my face.
- Moisturize and Protect– I put on the derma e Firming DMAE Lifting Eye Cream, massaging onto my under eye and orbital bone around under eye with ring finger. Then I apply daily moisturizer, either Cerave Moisturizing Lotion + Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunscreen SPF 50 or just the First Aid Beauty 5 in 1 SPF 30 moisturizer. Done!
PM Skincare Routine:
- Wash– with either Boscia Makeup Breakup Cleansing Oil or Equate 2in1 Daily Facial Cloths (gotta get that makeup off!) and sometimes double cleanse with First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser and Foreo Luna.
- Tone– with Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
- Exfoliate– I pour a dime sized amount of Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant into my palm, rub my hands together and spread it on my face and décolleté. This helps keep my skin be breakout and texture free as well soft and smooth because of the exfoliation.
- Treat– If needed, I use Paula’s Choice Clear Regular Strength Skin Clearing Treatment 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide as spot treatment, or a thin layer all over my face or small areas.
- Moisturize– Last I apply derma e Firming DMAE Lifting Eye Cream around the entire eye area with my ring finger and apply derma e Firming DMAE Moisturizer to my entire face and down the neck.
As you can see, I use a mix of drugstore, mid range drugstore and high end skincare in terms of cost. I have really tried to pare down the cost of my skin care over the years while still having it work as well as it be fragrance free, paraben free, and cruelty free. I also started seeing a Dermatologist 4 years ago. Their recommendation is to use Cerave or pay big bucks for Obagi and of course douse yourself in sunscreen! I used to use a lot more Paula’s Choice but these products have gone up in price quite a bit over the last three years that I have been using them, but some of her items are not replaceable like the liquid BHA.
Do you have some skincare favorites for Summer or in general? Share them in the comments!
*no affiliate links